Tuesday, February 13, 2007

David Banner Update

Every once in a while it is important to go back and look at what David Banner is up to. Banner is one of the more under rappers appreciated in the game, how can you ignore a guy who earned his Master’s Degree at University of Maryland and placed in the top 10% of his program and produced "Rubber Band Man"? More importantly the guy who was responsible for this, I really have to go back and read that every couple of months. For those who don't want to click the link here is a run down of an industry concert Banner gave a while back from the Village Voice/Status Ain't Hood Article:
On the next song, he tore down the Universal banner behind the stage, threw it on as a cape, and then charged into the crowd again. He threw up devil horns and yelled, "All you white people, put ya rock signs up! And all you black people, I know you working for somebody white because that's who runs the industry, so put ya rock signs up too or else you might get fired!" Then the DJ cued up "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Banner chanted, "Rock! Rock! Rock!" He stared into the audience and said, "If my father die and you fuck this album up, I'ma kill y'all," and gave a low chuckle.
The album he was talking about was 'Certified' which ended up selling 1.7 million world wide, so his scare tactics worked. Banner is currently working on a few films ('This Christmas' with Chris Brown) as well as his working on his new album. Banner makes this claim to MTV about his new untitled album, and gives some info on where the album is at right now:
It's probably going to be the best album ever in history; well, maybe besides some of the older cats. But as far as rap, by the time ['This Christmas'] comes out, I will have taken over. Right now, we're actually going through a big war about what the name of the album's gonna be. Because I want this album to have a regal name. My first [major-label] album was called Mississippi: The Album, and that's big to me. [This time] I'm working with T.I., Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Chris Brown, Carl Thomas, Akon. And everybody just came in for this album. Lil Wayne blessed me with the verse of the century! It's been amazing. Snoop Dogg came in and blessed me; Akon hit me with the hottest tracks; Cool and Dre, Lil Jon. It's probably going to be one of the greatest rap albums.
I can't wait. David Banner also has a part in the movie Black Snake Moan as a "beefy black drug dealer named Tehronne"

Labels: