Monday, February 19, 2007

Willy Joy - Ethnic Food Mix

A few weeks ago I asked Willy Joy if he wanted to make a mix for Still-Listen. I think the Willy Joy "Flybynight" mix is one of the better crafted full length mixes I have heard. If you don't have a copy of 'Flybynight' buy one from the TTL for 7 dollars.

Willy Joy's mix he made for SLTGM is called "Ethnic Food". Make sure you read what Willy Joy has to say about the mix, it makes it even more enjoyable to listen to. Below the description you will find the mix available in the usual formats as well as a tracklisting.
I wanted to compile some of my favorite songs that used samples of foreign music or had foreign guests in what seemed to me a kind of non-sequitor way. I guess there are two ways to look at this - either American musical imperialism - appropriating other culture's sounds for our own without considering where the sounds came from in the first place, or it's cutting-edge producers and musicians making that next shit and breaking down walls (i.e. American radio needs this shit.) I don't claim to make a statement either way, but I will say I love most of the tracks in this mix and think they're fucking great. At the end I try my own hand at it with excellent/terrible results using a classic racially insensitive song with a not-so-classic house-ification of what might have originally been "gypsy" music.

I also learned a little while making this mix - I was unaware of this woman named Raje Shwari who was Timbaland's protege for a while in the early 00's. She does the vocals on "Indian Flute" and "The Bounce" as well as a lot of other Timbaland bangers produced around that time. Anyway, her voice is great and I'm trying to track down more from her. If anyone has her promo single "Indian Style", holler at me or link it up!
Track Listing:
R. Kelly feat. Cam'Ron - Thoia Thoing (remix)
Rich Boy - Get To Poppin'
Timbaland & Magoo - Indian Flute
Jay-Z - The Bounce
Punjabi MC feat. Jay-Z - Beware Of The Boys (remix)
Erick Sermon feat. Redman - React
Truth Hurts feat. Rakim - Addictive
ODB & Black Keith - Thirsty (Bhangra Remix)
Mahala Rai Banda - Mahalageasca (Bucovina Dub)
2 Live Crew - Me So Horny

Willy Joy - Ethnic Food (YSI)/(Z-Share)


powered by ODEO

Labels: ,